Features Inside

Inside St. Cynllo’s church in Llangunllo there are these features:

(Click a link or scroll down the page to see details.)

Medieval Doorway
Roof
Chancel
Windows
Font
Tiles
Bells
Organ
Silver
Monuments
Bier
Stained Glass

Medieval Doorway

The four-centred arch of the door leading into the modern vestry situated in the tower is fifteenth century and may have been the entrance to an earlier church.

Medieval Doorway into Vestry
15th Century Doorway into Vestry

Roof

Although fifteenth century in style the roof of the nave of the church, dates completely from the time of the restoration. It is constructed of alternating tie-beams and open arch-braced trusses.

The principal trusses rest on elaborately moulded timber corbels.

  • Roof

    Roof

  • Triple Windbraces

  • Corbel


Back to top

Chancel

The archway to the chancel is pointed and lofty. The arch has engaged (inserted) columns and transept arcading with moulded capitals.

  • Chancel Arch

    Chancel Arch

  • Archway

    Engaged Capital

 Aumbry: To the left of the altar, the chancel has a locked, trefoil-headed aumbry, the place where reserve communion is kept. It has two compartments, one for the sacrament and one for documents. There is also a sanctus light, to be lit when the sacrament is present.

Aumbrey and Sanctus Light
Aumbrey and Sanctus Light

Piscina: To the right of the altar is a trefoil headed piscina, for washing communion vessels. Notice the drain.

Piscina
Piscina with Drain

Sedilia: Next to the piscina and set into the window embrasure is a double sedilia, providing seating for those assisting at the altar.

Sedilia next to Piscina
Sedilia next to Piscina

Back to top

Windows

The earliest part of the church remaining today is the small 13th century lancet window in the north wall of the nave.
All of the windows employ deepset lancets, an early English style.

  • Deep Set Windows

    Deep Set Windows

  • lancet

    13th Century Lancet Window


Back to top

Font

The present font is at least the third in the church’s history and dates from 1900.
Its cover originally came from the church at New Radnor.
An older font dating from 1790 stands near the lectern.

  • Font

    Font

  • Old Font


Back to top

Tiles

The Chancel and Sanctuary have fine encaustic tiles.

  • Sanctuary tiles

    Tiles in the Sanctuary

  • Altar tiles

    Tiles at the Altar

  • Chancel tiles

    Tiles in the Chancel


Back to top

Bells

The belfry of the tower houses four bells. The oldest is dated 1614 and inscribed, ‘Give thankes to god’. Two others were recast by William Blowes of Birmingham in 1869. The fourth is a much smaller bell without any date or inscription, which was purchased in 1788 at a cost of £2 4s, 6d.

  • bell

    Bell with Inscription

  • Bell wheels

    Three Wheels for Bells


Back to top

 Organ

The organ was built by the firm of White and Sentance.

Organ
Organ

Back to top

Silver

The church silver includes a repaired large flagon.

Church Silver with Large Flagon
Church Silver with Large Flagon

The silver paten shown is from the reign of George II. It was a gift of Mrs Anne Chamberlayne, the daughter of the Rev. James Footman. Her tombstone in the tower floor records that she lived with her husband William at Cefnsuran.

Silver Paten
Silver Paten

The large double-handed silver chalice bearing the date 1766 was acquired ‘for exchanging the Communion Cup’ at a cost of £2 15s, 0d. It has been suggested that it was exchanged for an earlier Elizabethan chalice.

Silver Cup from 1766
Silver Cup from 1766

Back to top

Monuments

Inside the nave are two wall monuments which were present in the church before restoration, and which are mentioned by the Rev. Jonathan Williams.

One memorial, over the tower door is to the memory of James and Thomas, sons of James and Anne Meyrick of Penyclawdd in this parish. The monument, which has a ‘broken pediment’ enclosing a fine decorated urn, records that the latter son, who died in 1766 at the age of 24 years, ‘was eminent for his virtue and piety’.

The other memorial, on the south wall close to the entrance to the church, is to the memory of John Pritchard Esq. Of Dol-y-velin, who died in 1814 at the age of 72 and is buried in the Chancel.
The monument was erected by Elizabeth Pritchard, his wife, who describes herself as, ‘his sorrowing relic’. The monument praises his manners and tells us that he was D.L. and J.P. for the county of Radnor as well as High Sheriff in 1769.
  • J Meyrick Memorial

    Memorial to James Meyrick

  • J Pritchard Memorial

    John Pritchard Memorial

 

Back to top

Bier

Bier
Bier

Stained Glass

There is a maker’s name in the central window “Ward & Hughes, London 1886.”

There are windows in St Mary’s Ruabon, Wrexham which are also by Ward and Hughes and the artist who designed them was George Parlby.

  • anointing feet

    Detail of Anointing Jesus Feet

  • East window

    East Window


Back to top



Comments are closed.