The churchyard lies on a mound with sweeping views of the surrounding countryside. It is roughly rectangular in shape and bounded by a stone wall, which was extensively renovated in 1999. The builder maintained that the capstones consist partly of re-used flagstones from the former church and that the projecting course beneath incorporates discarded roofing slabs.
On either side of the farm gate and against the boundary wall is a garden of remembrance. The entire churchyard is lovingly maintained by a small band of volunteers and blends in beautifully with the surrounding countryside. In 1993 the churchyard won the competition for ‘Best Kept Graveyard’ in the Radnor District.
Although headstones are located on the south, west, and north sides of the church, there are surprisingly few at the eastern end. Headstones range in age from the eighteenth century to the present day. They are carved from various types of stone, including granite, sandstone, and more recently, slate from North Wales. Some nineteenth century stones are finely carved, with a recurring vine motif, possibly the work of the stonemason who lived at Vineyard Cottage above the north side of the church.
Of special interest is a broken cross against the eastern boundary wall commemorating six-year-old Julia Commissiares, who was born in Antwerp in 1912. A local resident remembered that she died in a fire at Brookside, Knucklas, in a row of cottages now gone. Also at the eastern end is a headstone to three-year-old Mary Ann Jordan who died in 1865.
On either side of the main path there are three yew trees, the largest having an estimated age of seven hundred years. A thick metal ring has been driven into the trunk of the nearest yew on the eastern side of the path, presumably for tethering animals.
Gates and Letter Box
The main entrance has sturdy iron gates surmounted by a wrought iron arch, dedicated to the memory of R.H. (Ron) Evans by his widow, Gwen, of Lower House Farm. A Victorian letter box in the wall dates from about 1876, just after a post office opened in Knucklas. On the north boundary wall a wide farm gate provides access for churchyard maintenance.